Search This Blog

3/13/2005

Aegri somnia

Two military jets just flew over my house at an altitude of about 2000ft. The window I sit next to shook as they roared overhead. The birds on the rooftops opposite took off and flew in either a state of shock or as a challenge to the winged invaders on their patch. Who knows? Possibly the pidgeons but they ain't telling anyone.

It could be something to do with the rugby international being held at Murrayfield today between Scotland and Wales. Or it could be that Edinburgh Airport is involved in a major terrorist situation and the RAF have been ordered to attend... I'm inclined to think it's for the rugby. Edinburgh airport is as much a terror target as my kitchen is. In other words; It ain't. On the global map of terror targets Edinburgh is only just above Costa Rica, the Galapagos Islands and the Isle Of Man.

If I were to believe everything I see on the news, then I may start to believe that Terrorists are, at this very moment, lurking in shadowy corners plotting unspeakable acts upon you and I. But I ain't that gullible. I hope you are also not that gullible. You always seemed rational enough to me.

I'm fortunate that I live in Scotland. A lot more fortunate than some poor swine who lives in a country that when he hears a military jet fly overhead he wonders not what sporting occasion is taking place but wonders if this is the white noise that brings death and destruction to his door. The last blinding flash he sees is not that of the afterburners kicking in as the jets whoosh over a housing scheme and head into the distance but is that of his life being stolen from him by a missile that cost enough money to feed his offspring for centuries.

And this is the world that we live in.

Why?

No comments: