Search This Blog

12/18/2007

How I got barred from Starbucks.

Normally I don’t go into those coffeehouses that seem to be on the corner of every street these days, but as I couldn't find a greasy spoon within staggering distance of the cinema I gave into my desire for a cup of coffee and wandered into the nearest Starbucks.I made my way to the counter and was greeted in that wonderfully Americanised way by the uniformed gimp who stood with the most glaringly obvious smile that reeks of falsity.

“Welcome to Starbucks, how can I be of assistance?” She asked.
“Just a coffee please sweetheart.” I said affably.

“Would you like Cappuccino, Double Cappuccino, Espresso, Double Espresso, Americano, Caffe latte, cafe au lait, Mochacchino, Macchiato, Espresso Macchiato, Café Crème, Espresso Con Panna, frapuchino. Or maybe you’d like to sample one of our famous iced coffees?” Said the gimp.
“Just a coffee.” I said totally baffled at the list of things that she had just rattled off in one breath. There was an audible groan from behind me in the queue.

I heard someone call me an uncultured oaf but when I turned around to see who had muttered the insult there was a distinct lack of admittance from the responsible party.

“That’s called an Americano sir.” Said the assistant.
“Ok then, I'll have an Americano.” I said slowly, trying desperately not to lose my head.
“Regular, large or super size?” Asked the assistant.
“Regular please.” I replied.
“Would you like creamer in that?”
“What’s that?” I enquired.
“Whitener.” Declared the assistant.
“I'm still not with you.” I said, confused.
“Milk.” said the girl, looking at me like I was some poor animal that had been mauled by her cat and had then been dumped onto her lap as she ate her dinner.
“Oh, well why didn't you just say so?” I stated, sarcastically “Yes please, with milk.”
“And sweetener?” She enquired.
“Would that be what normal people call sugar?” I asked, slowly losing my patience.
“Yes sir, that would be sugar.” She replied, with a look of disdain on her face.
“Two sugars please.” I said, still trying to be affable about it all even though I was slowly bubbling away inside like a geyser that’s about to throw superheated water hundreds of feet into the air.

A long queue had formed and I heard a voice chime up “Today would be good.” It said.

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I felt the bile rise in my throat and the blood started to course through my veins. I snapped and spun around on my heel.“ALL RIGHT, WHICH ONE OF YOU FUCKERS SAID THAT?” I bellowed. “COME ON! WHO WAS IT?”

I must have look a terrifying sight as the poor woman directly behind me jumped so far backwards that she bumped into the person behind her and very nearly caused a domino effect all the way down the queue.

“WHO SAID THAT?” I yelled at the first person whose eyes met mine.
“It came from behind me, It wasn’t me, I'm sorry, please don’t hit me.” The owner of the eyes said meekly.

A suit-wearing guy stepped forward and proudly said, “I did.”
I pointed my finger at him and let loose.

“What the fuck is your problem pal?” I said, with venom in my voice, “It’s because of soulless, ball-less, suit wearing, money grabbing, yuppie shitholes like you I have to go through five minutes of questioning and interrogation in order to get a cup of fucking coffee... Don’t even think about giving me attitude just because I don’t buy into all this crap... Shut the fuck up before I wrap my hands around your throat and squeeze until your small, insignificant, pea sized, one track mind pops out your ocular sockets.... If you don’t mind I'd like to get my coffee and get the fuck outta this place before I lose my mind and do what the rest of the herd seem to be doing and start thinking I'm a fucking American.”

I never got to hear his reply, if he had one, as I was grabbed suddenly from behind and was muscled out of the door by two burly security guards.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Security guards? In Edinburgh? What branch is this, niddrie?

Caramel machiatto is what you want though - its ace.

Talking of greasy spoons, I miss that place that used to be down from the playhouse next to the roundabout.

Anonymous said...

Oh you little fibber you! You've embellished that just a touch methinks.

See you need to put your own sugar in at Starbucks they always come unsweetened!

Anyhow screw the coffee. What you should have got is a peppermint hot chocolate with cream. It's the mutts nutts!

Anonymous said...

Ah well Ross, at least you've ruled out Starbucks as a career option...which is no bad thing. Ever considered nursing as a career?

twelve_squared said...

*roflmao*

you ever notice it seems like it's the ones in Starbucks with the half caf skinny latte extra foam hold the sprinkles that take the damned longest in every other line around you?

thank you... honestly... just sincerely from the bottom of my heart... thank you.

you can come to a Starbucks near me any time you want, but you have to promise to murder and mutilate the half caf crowd for me... it's McDonald's for the 30-somethings who want their carbs and their crap with a serious dose of uppity and stuffity to go with, I guess.

there's a lovely cafe I know of... serves a wicked cup of joe, in a cup, no sizes... where sugar is sugar and cream is cream and there's just none of the crap to go with it...

*shrug*

what do I know, I drink tea, not sweet... cream only if it looks like coffee when they bring it to me.

thanks again, that was wonderful... I needed an excuse to surf instead of working today, you're the perfect one.

Unknown said...

Wreckless,
Once more your talent for diplomacy amazes me. Have you ever considered public office?

Jamie,
You have obviously never visited the Wester Hailes branch of Starbucks. Seriously man it's like the Gaza Strip. (And I don't mean the old football shirt of that fat geordie gimp.)
I too have fond memories of the diner that used to be on the corner.

Bawbag,
Firstly, nice nickname. Well thought out and not to verbose in it's construction.
The embelishments are what we writers call "artistic license." Plain fucking lies is what they really are but it adds to the story.

Manc_Lass,
H, could you ever see me working at starbucks? Seriously, I don't think they'd hire me as I'm a bit too lax in my work ethic. I don't have one. You're talking about someone who was fired by his own brother.
Me? A nurse? Are you high?

144 [twelve squared],
Thanks for the comment.

It's not just Starbucks that this phenomenom (♪♫ do-do do do-do ♫♪) occurs. Nay, indeed it seems to be a thing that happens in every queue I've ever been in.
Should I ever be around your way I'd be more than happy to eviscerate the half caf crowd... Half caf? That's like asking a drug dealer for heroin lite...
Should you feel like dropping by and bouying my spirits again please feel free.

Anonymous said...

Ross,

Course I'm not high, I was serious about nursing. And for the record, where the hell is the Wester Hailes branch of Starbucks?

And as for being fired by your own brother..class. I did know someone who was fired by his own father mind you...his dad ran a business importing lingerie from Hong Kong. Seriously. And you do not want to know what his son was doing with the merchandise...