Search This Blog

3/21/2007

Today has been a lazy day...

I fully planned on hitting the streets today to find a job but after waking up this morning with a pounding headache I decided I was in no fit state. So I swallowed a couple of painkillers, pulled the covers over my head and tried to sleep through the headache.

Three hours later I awoke again to find that the headache was still resident so I popped another three painkillers and attempted to get back to sleep. Not a chance. My body had had enough sleep and refused to drop back into la-la land.

I hauled my lumbering frame out of bed, like some kind of stoned dinosaur who hasn't realised that a giant meteor has wiped out all of his friends and relatives, and pulled my duvet into the living room where I lay on the couch and watched TV.

I made several attempts at shouting at the TV, but whenever I raised my voice above a whisper my head began pounding. I satisfied myself by hurling the remote control at the TV and vowing that one day Richard Madeley and all his happy faced smiling cohorts would suffer a horrible end at my hands.

As soon as the remote control clattered to a halt at the side of the TV I cursed my spontaneity as I had no way of turning the TV down, or off. I rolled off the couch and dragged myself across the living room floor, hit the off button on the TV and picked the remote control off the floor.

As I slunk back to the couch I decided that some soft music would probably be the best thing to take my mind of my headache so I kicked my stereo into life and put on Facing Future by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

As the sounds of Israel slowly drifted into my cerebellum my headache began to dissipate and a sense of calm floated into my being. There's something about Israel Kamakakawiwo'ole's music that reminds me of the time I spent in Mozambique and as the music took over I closed my eyes and drifted into my memories.

Much to my surprise I awoke a couple of hours later to discover that my headache had slackened off to a dull roar. Which was probably just as well as I'm a big fucking jessie when I'm not 100%. I walked into the kitchen and got a pint of water to keep my hydration levels up, went to the toilet and took a piss and staggered back into the living room where I turned on the fire to get the chill off the room.

The rest of the day I lay on the couch, listened to quiet music and read my way through a Saul Bellow book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/jobGroup.do?action=new

Now you can look from the comfort of you own home!!