Search This Blog

2/27/2006

They say...

That when you quit smoking you get your sense of taste back.

Well, tonight I found out that this is in fact true.

Having been off the cancer sticks for almost a week now due to my lungs being utter bastards who decided to rebel against my best efforts to turn them into shriveled sacks before I hit the age of fifty, and a chest infection.

Having lived almost exclusively on cheesy pasta and microwave meals over the last week I decided that tonight I'd treat myself to a nice mixed kebab from the local kebab house. And what did I find? They taste fucking awful! Seriously, I've eaten some right old shite in my time, most of which I cooked myself and therefore have no-one to blame but me. But I know realize that nothing I have ever created in Ross' Country Kitchen can hold a candle to the mixed kebab
I just choked down my gullet.

So, it's either back onto the lung busters again or never darken the door of the local kebab shop again. Which is a double edged sword really, either I start smoking again and risk an early death or the local kebab shop goes out of business and Ali sells his Mercedes Benz and moves back to Turkmenistan. Or wherever the fuck it is that he comes from. How do I know? It's not come up in our conversations.

Truth be told nothing much apart from "Do you want salad and sauce" has came up in our conversations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ross, you'll end up a tofu loving vegetarian at this rate....although I did once have a tofu kebab - once tried, never forgotten, or indeed repeated...believe me. It was not unlike chewing on your own mattress (or someone else's mattress if you're so inclined) with added chilli sauce. Yum.