Search This Blog

3/01/2006

This week I will be mostly reading...

This post is merely to list the books I bought today. If you want words of wisdom, go read Descartes. So, without further ado, here's the list of books I bought today.

Joseph Heller - Something Happened.
Nick Mason - Inside Out. A Personal History of Pink Floyd.
John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces.

I also bought another copy of On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

I say another copy because I've bought at least seven copies of this book and have given them all away. In actual fact the last copy of On the Road I bought wasn't really given away. It was set loose... Freed, emancipated, liberated... Whatever, call it what you will...

Last year when I popped over to South Africa for the month to visit Steve, I bought a copy of On the Road to read while lazing around on sunkissed beaches or at the side of swimming pools. When Steve was returning home to South Africa I wrote a little note inside the cover of the book and asked Steve to leave it in the airport somewhere that someone would find it, read it and pass it on.

The copy I bought today will be going much the same way. Not in the same fashion though, this copy is going to be given to a reader of this blog. Mr Alex Allan.

Earlier this week Alex and I were discussing books and writers and I mentioned that one of my favorite books of all time was On the Road by Kerouac. Alec had never heard of the book or the writer and I said I'd root out my copy and let him read it. Little did I realize that I had set my copy loose and didn't have another in the house.

And that's the reason I've bought yet another copy of On the Road.

[Editors Note] Alex and his wife Alma, who bares no resemblance to Margaret Thatcher at all and is in fact very sexy, come into the club I work in.

No comments: