Search This Blog

5/02/2005

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes...

I've been in south Africa for a couple of days now and I'm having the time of my life. Steve, his wife Steph and my cousin Tami have made me feel very welcome and I'm busy trying to think of something, or somehow, I can show my appreciation. Perhaps a Vettriano print for the wall of their house? Fucked if I know. Any suggestions drop me a line.

This evening was spent at lusito land which is a yearly benefit concert for handicapped Portuguese kids. The atmosphere was fantastic. If you ever held any preconceived notions as to what an African benefit concert was all about the forget it bubba, it aint jack shit like what you ever expected.

The first thing that struck me was the fact that south Africa is a multicultural society. There is no race divide. It does not exist anymore. If it ever existed in the first place other than in the minds of the whites. Perhaps before apartheid it was different but I saw very little of the divide at lusito land. Whites danced with blacks, Portuguese and Spanish danced with each other and I tapped my foot and at one point I almost shook my tailfeather. Almost.

While at lusito land I was reminded of the shite side of Scotland when the DJ played the Proclaimers song 500 miles. Perhaps this was a small reminder to me that Scotland exists when I'm not there, but I doubt it. It was probably just coincidence.

Even though the organizers of Lusito land fucked up on the choice of music to play they did however knock seven shades of shit out of the live band. After having Portuguese calamari in prego sauce we all trooped over to the stage to watch a band named Prime Circle. Did they rock? Did they ever.

Even with only a minimal crowd of people these guys went balls to the wall to give the best show possible. If a young screaming female fanbase is a precursor to fame then the world had better watch out as these puppies have that in abundance. And their music will blister your brain too. Never a bad thing. The rhythm section is tighter than a nuns fuckpack and the singer could, I suspect, knock the balls off of lesser talented minions. Sure there is a sign of pearl jam and other mainstream rock and roll influences but trust me, these guys are full on, get your tits out rock and roll. Long may they last. Check out their website here.

No comments: