Search This Blog

4/19/2005

11 days and counting.

Oh the excitement... In 11 days time I shall be flying out to Africa.

The question of not returning is playing heavily on my mind. I'm giving some serious thought to chucking this life in for a few months of traveling around Europe. And, It is entirely within my grasp. All I have to do is decide. Make the choice. Take the chance. Roll the dice.

My return flight from South Africa is routed through Germany and there is nothing stopping me from not boarding the Germany-Edinburgh flight and doing whatever takes my fancy. I've always had an inkling to see more of the world and this is my perfect opportunity to do just that. Why the hell not? What do I have to lose? Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zip. Fuck all.

Sure, it's a gamble but everything is a gamble... Crossing the road is a gamble, flying is a gamble, eating in Mexican restaurants is a gamble, attempting to screw your friends girlfriend is a gamble... Life is one big gamble. If you don't take the chance you'll never win. Or, you'll never know. Which is worse? Never knowing or never trying?

It's not as if I'm going to lose the respect of friends and family, there's no chance of that happening. In fact, my best friend Steff said to me yesterday that he would be overjoyed if he didn't see me for a year. Though I'm not sure if he meant that in a nice way or that he'd be glad to see the back of me for a while. Just kidding. I know he meant it in a nice way.

As for losing the respect of my family, well, I know that they all, as one, would be happy for me that I had decided to do something more with my life than spend it pissing my time away in Edinburgh smoking too much dope and drinking too much booze.

Thought must be given to this on a deeper level than I am usually accustomed too. But, I'm up for that. I have the power of independent thought. And the chance of an independent life. Freedom beckons. Dare I answer the call?

1 comment:

jenny said...

I'm with Auntie Philly...

But it's a big decision...you must weigh up the pro's and con's....

Let me try and help...

New people, new cultures, new lifestyle, new experience

or

same old job, same old faces, same lifestyle, shirley!

Emmm...I know what I'd do & If I didn't have kids I'd be coming for the ride!

No matter how far you go..all of your family and friends are but a click of a button away thanks to modern technology and we'll still be here for you to come back to as will your job at Bainfield most probably!!