Search This Blog

6/30/2008

Inspiration...

Can come in many guises. People can inspire you to be better than the masses, books can inspire you and music can also inspire you. So my question for today is...

"What has inspired you?

In the name of fairness I shall list the things that have inspired me.

People...

Bill Hicks.
A comedic giant who never once shirked away from letting his audiences into his deepest, darkest inner thoughts. Bill Hicks inspired me not to kowtow to other peoples ideas of what is right and wrong to talk about. No subject should ever be taboo, silence will only ever make the subject in hand develop into something that it never was in the first place.



Martin Luther King.
Martin Luther King should have been the first black president of the United States of America. Had he not been assassinated MLK would have united the people to create a fairer place for people of all races. His seminal "I have a Dream"speech is an inspiration to me whenever I listen to it. One day I hope to see MLK's dream of races around the world uniting in the name of humanity.



Hunter S Thompson.
Mentioned in the same sentences as such authors as Ernest Hemingway, J. D. Salinger and Jack Kerouac, Hunter S Thompson inspired me to write. Fair enough I'm nowhere near these literary giants but that's not the point. The point is that I'm writing. *See Update Below*

Music...

Jeff Buckley.
Jeff Buckley has a voice that simultaneously kills me and cures me at the same time. Whenever I feel anger welling up inside me I throw on Jeff Buckley's track "Eternal Life (road version)" and calm down. Whenever I feel down I listen to "Hallelujah" and I am lifted beyond my worries and onto a higher plane. Top of the list of Jeff Buckley tracks however must be "Last Goodbye" which I would like to be played at my funeral.

Books...

Of Mice and Men.
When I was at school the teachers knew before I did that attempting to teach me something I held no interest in was a waste of both of our time. Subsequently the teachers kind of let me do my own thing in my own time. My teachers were selected for their ability to keep me occupied and I merily plodded my way through school. One day a teacher (Miss Black) handed me this book and said I may like it. She was right. I still have the same copy of that book in my house and have read it many times.

*Update*
There's a new film about Hunter S Thompsons legacy. Here's the trailer.

And here's the official site.
To see the film dates click here.

5 comments:

A 2 Z said...

Hi,

Really good blog Ross. I am trying to decide who is better at it, you or your cuzz. Doug is right that I'm a bit of lurker. I used to have a blog but fell behind in my postings. It felt like unfinished homework and it was becoming a burden. And he is also right when he says I am a nice person (depends what time of the month though...). At the moment I am not inspired by anybody. When I was young everything and everybody was an inspiration. Nowadays, with growing older and being taken for a ride to many times my list is very short. These days I like to relax and watch comedians (the good ones) do their magic. I will keep thinking about it, just in case I come up with somebody.

Unknown said...

A 2 Z,
Mucho thanks for the kind words.

I too have a deep love of comedians and the only time I ever feel truly alive is during the edinburgh festival when the whole city is a comedy lovers wet dream.

Divemaster GranDad said...

A2Z...Cuzzin Ross is the one who inspired me to start blogging when he came out to Shit Towne on holiday a couple of years ago. I saw him writing some notes on a little pad, barely hours of him arriving in the country (something to do with the Swazi Gold, if memory serves me right). I firmly believe he is better at writing than I am, but his talent is wasted. My writing talent, unfortunately, is mostly wasted on writing reports at work. I would love to be able to write a novel, but it is a project which would take me years and would probably be of absolutely buggerall significance or value to the human race.

I think you should start blogging again...it's your space, who cares if you get behind in your postings? You might get a slagging now and then from your regular readers, but you can always tell them to bugger off... :-)

Tammy said...

If you enjoyed Of Mice & Men, you should try Flowers For Algernon, short story but a really good read

x

Unknown said...

Hey Tami,
I'll check it out.