Search This Blog

4/15/2006

Bring me the head of the Easter Bunny...

My dear Mother is in some kind of mood with me.

It's mostly to do with the fact that I'm not going to go with the family to roll eggs on Sunday. Which, as you may or may not know, is Easter Sunday.

Apparently, traipsing to the top of Corstorphine Hill and wasting a dozen perfectly good eggs is supposed to be some kind of reminder that Jesus' resurrection is alleged to have happened a couple of thousand years ago.

My side of the argument goes like this. I'm not a Christian. I aint spending a perfectly good Sunday morning going up and down a hill chasing Class A eggs. If it was a case of chasing after Class A drugs maybe this story would be different... But, I digress.

If you think about the whole Easter gig itself you begin to realize that it's existence is based upon a whole load of supposition. Take the "Death" of Jesus... Two thousand, and some, years ago Doctors didn't have access to all the technical gadgetry that the medical profession has nowadays. It's not as if the Romans could have taken Jesus off the cross and hooked him up to a cardiograph to see if his heart was still functioning.

So why do we automatically assume that whoever took Jesus' body off the cross made the right call as to whether or not Jesus was actually dead, as opposed to being very nearly dead. Perhaps being baked in the hot sun had caused some kind of deep catatonic state where the body shut down all non essential functions and Jesus merely seemed to have shuffled off this mortal coil. Remember... Piss poor Doctors make piss poor judgments.

What's to say that this isn't how events panned out?

Then there's the whole Rolling Away the Stone gig.

So, there's Jesus lying in a semicatatonic state. His death has been reported to his followers and they have came to see his body. None of them are any better at making judgments and they think that Jesus has died and is now with his father up in heaven. They file slowly out of the tomb and go about the next few days in a state of shock at the death of their "Chosen one."

Roman soldiers heave a large stone over the front of the tomb and then wander off to the nearest orgy. Failing to notice that one of the followers accidentally left a long walking stick...

As time passes Jesus begins to regain consciousness...

He becomes fully alert and a shock of adrenaline courses through his body. He bursts out of his shroud and takes in his surroundings. He's in a tomb... More adrenaline hits him. His mind reels and his inner voice tells him he has to get out or this will be where he dies having, by chance, survived being crucified. He rushes to the exit of the tomb and heaves at the rock. There is no movement. He tries again. Still no movement.

His eyes look around the room and he spots the walking stick that had been left behind when the tomb was sealed. He picks it up and has an idea... Using the walking stick as a fulcrum he manages to pry the stone that covers the exit from the tomb past its point of balance and sends it rolling down the hill.

...And so it came to pass that two thousand years later a bunch of loons get out of bed on a cold morning and roll eggs down a hill.

So you see, I just can't figure why it is that I should celebrate something I can't consider to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. And that's not even mentioning the fact that more people have been killed in the name of religious faith than AIDS, the bubonic plague, earthquakes and ice ages all put together.

There's no doubt in my mind that my mum will try the standard argument for having me take part in this bogus festival... And there even less doubt in my mind that she'll listen to the rationality of my argument and concede that I have a point in saying that religion is something that kids shouldn't be subjected to.

"It's for the kids." She'll say.

"It's harmless fun." She'll argue.

Cool... Harmless fun. Sure no-one will be nailed to a cross and there shouldn't be any egg related injuries, but there will be several dozen eggs shattered and strewn across Corstorphine Hill and those could be put to better use. Perhaps by giving them to a person who is hungry. Or maybe all the money that is spent on chocolate eggs could be given to people who have less than a pot to piss in.

But that may be something that Jesus would do.

*Editors note.*

I'll no doubt be lambasted by my mother for this post and some of my regular readers will probably join in.

Let the argument begin!

*Editors note ends.*

Have a nice day.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

this makes no sense Ross, your Mom obviously just wants a bit of family time. give the poor women a break, I bet my last dollar she has/is always there for you. Would it be such a big deal for you to turn up?

Kev.

ps Say hello to Tootsie for me when you see her.

Unknown said...

Hello Sis,
How ya doing? All well and good I hope.

I'm not against spending time with my neices and nephews and you know this. What I'm against is the mindless acceptance of something unproven just because it's traditional. Plus, and here's the main subject of the post itself... It made me laugh. As it is intended to do. It's also intended to make other people laugh. So plase don't take it too seriously.

Kev,
how goes it with you? Great/That's awful (delete as applicable.)

If it's sense your looking for I highly reccomend not reading my blog.

It's all just the ramblings of a half educated loon who enjoys pushing the big red button marked "DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON."

Unknown said...

[Post that was removed by Kev.]

(Replaced in the interests of fucking about.) Editor.

What can I say, Ross knows me, I have met his Mom. And I do know she loves the bones of her family. As for Tootsie, I have never been in love but there is a first time for everything isn't there.

Anonymous said...

lol Ross yet another enjoyable post from you I had to say hi on this just so u know I read it...lmao

Now rolling eggs down hill thats some tradition cause I've never heard of it till now. We dont do anything like that here in aussie land we all eat chocolate like fools and pay for the hours of endless toothaches for the rest of the year till it comes round again.

I was woken yesterday morning at the glorious hour of 5am by my 3 children screaming mummy come see what the easter bunny left for us... instead of rolling over saying "I know what u got I bloody well put them out at 11pm last night now go back to bed u ungreatful little ankle biters" I dragged my tired ass out of bed to say oh wow and watch my 8 yr old son devouring chocolate at 5am in the morning.

We dont really have many traditions for easter here mostly its a time to go visit family to get the kids loaded with more chocolate so they can be hypo for a few days till its all gone then its back to normal again for us all.

Anyway hun keep up the blogs its the one thing that keeps me sane most days reading them and when ever im feeling down and need a pick me up I can guarantee that if I read ur blog it always makes me smile and laugh and helps brighten my day.

Love always Chris (booboo)

Anonymous said...

This is brill writing, by Ross and his readers, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am off on hols, going to Aussie land for 6 weeks, Leave on Tuesday/Wednesday. If I get the chance will post from there if not happy days folks.

Tootsie, will send you a card to the "office" presume it is the same office that the Gorebridge Lady is in?

Kev

Anonymous said...

and Ross why did you re publish my comments? Naughty Boy

Unknown said...

Kev,
Comment was reposted because I can.

Enjoy Australia. Bring me back a koala bear.

Anonymous said...

Caught me there, don't know your "real" name, will send it care of Mrs D as I know her surname. Would send it care of Ross but he has moved house and don't know here he lives now, used to live near me.

Cheers All.

Kev

Lena M Bakke said...

Good one as usual, it really made me laugh, and I couldn't agree more! We haven't got anything like the hunting of the eggs or the Easter bunny in Norway - don't think we've really got any Easter related traditions at all. But since Thursday, Friday, the weekend AND Monday are traditionally days off from work when it comes to Easter, and most people prefer to take the whole week off from work - I guess one of our "tradition" is to go the the cabin that we've either rented or at some point in time bought in the mountains. Then we either go cross country skiing and get lost in an avalanche or in the bad weather or something - OR we go alpine skiing AFTER having been drinking like hell just to see how many bones it is possible to break on one trip down the mountain!!!
I don't do any of those things though, I mostly prefer to do my drinking in more safe environments, not on skiis that is - and think it more sensible to spend the time listening to music, watching movies on DVD or writing - than get myself lost on some stupid mountain top!

Anonymous said...

nothing from Kev??? Thank the lord, tell him to get his own website and not use the Main Mans.

Anonymous said...

I am with anon 1 if kev wants to chat up Tootsie, do it on your own time/site/phone/letter etc etc etc. Sure she is lovely lady but come on man, book a room !!!!

Anon 2

Anonymous said...

Get in there Tootsie,

Missing your banter out here in Ausie Land. What you been up to.

WEather here is fan(bloody)tastic. Lots of Sun Sea Sand and (no sex honest)

Kev

jenny said...

Oh My Lord...I am never going on holiday again! Actually that's probably a lie but shit I have missed all the good stuff!

Little Sarah D (she's practically perfect in every way like Mary Poppins) is on talking to Ross a bit like I do at work.

Mrs D is being her wonderful self and surely securing the job hosting Blind Date cause she's way better than Cilla!

Ross started it all with his usual wacky posting...one point though Ross...if Jesus wasn't really dead but was just in a semicoma thing why the hell didn't he come back and do more tricks and stuff??. Anyhow they don't do egg rolling in Florida, they do egg hunting and you can't buy a chocolate egg for love nor money!

Kev is off to Oz and getting frisky with Tootsie.

Speaking of Tootsie...she shoots, she scores! You weren't joking about catching up whern I got back eh? Your fast becoming my new hero!

And Thing 1 and Thing 2...sorry I mean Anon 1 and 2 are getting humpty at Kev's flirting.

I am seriously considering not watching Eastenders anymore but just reading this blog!

Absolute Class! You're all mad (in a lovely way!)