Search This Blog

12/14/2005

I hate being wrong.

Which is surprising given the amount of times I'm wrong...

I wrote on here a while ago that Billy Piper sucked as the new assistant in Dr Who, at the time it was my honest opinion, but now I have to go on record and say that she isn't all that bad. In fact she's quite good.

My brother loaned me the first series on Sunday after I'd very kindly painted the ceiling and covered the carpet in paint at his house. After watching the full series on Monday, while recovering from our staff night out on sunday night, I found Billy Piper to be way above my expectations and actually found myself completely comfortable with her as the Dr's assistant.

The scripts were good and each episode was filled with humor, tension and drama. Chris Ecclestone fitted into the part with a slickness I've never seen from a new Dr and even the introduction of the rogue time agent, Captain Jack Harkness, didn't fill me with the urge to shout "Claptrap!" and hurl abuse at the screen.

The aliens didn't look as though someone in the BBC special effects room went mad with egg cartons, polystyrene and expanding foam cavity wall insulation. The effects for space travel didn't look like a TV recieving a feed from a camera pointed into it's own tube and long shots with models didn't look like they had been built by a guy named Brian in his shed one weekday morning. And the Daleks could finally get up a set of stairs.

Come the final episode, I'd got so far into the make believe of Dr Who that I felt like I'd travelled through time and had become the kid I once was on the outside, on the inside.

No comments: