Search This Blog

10/04/2005

It's art, for fucks sake.

The world famous Scottish artist Jack Vettriano was yesterday accused of some kind of heinous crime, when the story of his alleged use of images from artists manuals to create his works surfaced.

I'm not quite sure what all the brouhaha is about.

Who gives a good god damn where an artist gets his inspiration, it's what he puts out that matters. It's not as though what he did was hack a sheep in half and lob it into some preserving fluid, ala Damien Hurst, or made a montage of Campbells soup tins, ala Andy Warhol, now is it?

Vettriano's works may well, to the snobs at the Scottish Academy, be unexciting and not deserving of the praise being of being displayed at one of Scotlands finest galleries, but to many people his art is fine enough to grace their livingroom wall. And that's the measure of good art to me.

It's also more than likely that it's also the measure of good art to Jack Vettriano.

3 comments:

Stuart Douglas said...

I'm not an art snob (I think anyway), but I'm with the guy who said Vettriano doesn't do painting, he does colouring in. The fact that he might as well have traced the images used in 'The Singing Butler' hardly helps in that repsect.

Divemaster GranDad said...

As much as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is art. Though, going by what I've seen of Jack's work, I'd agree with Cuzzin Stuart...

Rather show me art that gets my imagination running (stickwomen with eyes at the end of their three pointy breasts or something along those lines)...weird, I know. I like to call me "different" :-)

Just Some Guy said...

The guy paints pictures and people like them, the same goes for many of the greats who maybe more talented with the paintbrush. All the money and critical stuff around art is absolute tosh.