Search This Blog

6/04/2005

Notes from Africa. Part 3. Guinjata bay. Day 1.

We arrived about an hour ago to find the base for the next week.

It's a shithole. If your idea of a shithole is a straw-roofed hut 100 yards from the beach and 50 yards from the pub. Ho ho.

Guijata bay.

Rough I know but I'm sure I'll manage.

The last 20 Kilometers of the journey have to be done in 4x4 gearing as the road is nothing but sand. We unpack the car and head for the beach to go for a swim in the clear blue waters.

Guinjata bay.

After our swim we head back to the hut to get some food and, more importantly, drink. Rum and Cokes are had while sitting on the porch watching the stars come out.

I've seen stars before I came here on holiday but never before have I seen so many. This place could be heaven. If it wasn't for the mosquitoes that were whizzing and zapping into my arms sucking my blood and generally getting on my nerves. Some of these swines should get clearance from ground control to fly. They're huge.

I sit and watch the sun setting over the horizon having a conversation with Steve until he decides to hit the hay and go to bed. Tamlyn comes and sits with me until about 4am and we chat away about life, the universe and which person you'd like to kill if you knew you'd get away with it. Her answer to that question was her ex boyfriend Kenneth. And my choice was George W Bush. No surprise there really.

Tamlyn comes across as a very kindhearted young woman who, in my opinion, deserves a glorious life filed with happiness and love. I get slowly drunk on Captain Morgans and coke. Tamlyn doesn't drink at all. I think she was too busy watching me attempt to get shitfaced. By the time I went to my bed I had pretty much accomplished that mission.

I stagger through to my room and am asleep within minutes only to awake within an hour to swipe and claw at the mosquitoes I can hear buzzing over my head. Little did I know that those demonic little fuckers would attempt to drink me dry and drive me insane over the next eight days.

No comments: