Search This Blog

3/14/2005

Such fun I've had.

While I was randomly searching amongst the pages of the wikipedia yesterday I stumbled across this page of Latin phrases. Nothing special in that you may think. But you would be wrong. Very wrong indeed. Using a small sample of the phrases contained I managed to convince at least 4 dozen people that I'm able to speak Latin.

Until yesterday my entire knowledge of the Latin language was "Romanes Eunt Domus" and I only knew that because of the graffiti sketch in Monty Pythons Life of Brian. But no more! I am, in the minds of others, able to understand Latin.

So in the interest of science, and to share the laughs with you, here's how to bluff that you know Latin.

Phase 1.
  1. Learn a few of the phrases on this page.
  2. Memorize your chosen phrases and their meanings.
Phase 2.
  1. Use one of these phrases in a conversation with the unsuspecting "victim" of your bluff.
(In order to make sure that your victim doesn't know Latin themselves it's important to use a phrase you have memorized the meaning of &, if possible, try to use the phrase in the right context. My tip; Keep it simple.)

If everything goes ok and you carry your performance off well enough the person you were just talking to thinks you speak Latin. I've been doing it all day. It's been a hoot.

No comments: