Search This Blog

10/06/2008

The Turner Prize...

I'm no art critic, and the lord knows I'm no artist, but what's the gig with the Turner Prize?

Last year the Turner was won by someone dressed in a bear costume wandering around an art gallery and this years entrants features; A mannequin on a toilet with assorted crap nailed to it and scattered porridge at its feet[1], a piece entitled "Different Sky (rain)"[2] which is essentially a white wall with occasional off vertical lines painted onto it and other "artistic" (my quotes) installations like a woman smashing china teacups onto the floor. Another of the entrants has submitted a piece that is a recreation of textiles originally designed by a German artist for the 1929 international exhibition in Barcelona.

[1]

[2]

Now the thing I'd like to know is, can anyone enter the competition? If so I would like to submit my bedroom floor as an example of societies irrational and contemptuous affair with the world around it. In fact, I've got the urge to glue the empty pizza boxes in my kitchen into an armchair to show the Turner prize judges that it's not just hoity toity lazy bastards who refuse to get a job and instead call themselves artists that can cobble together any old shite and call it art.

2 comments:

Divemaster GranDad said...

I made a fine piece of art this morning and called it "Steaming Coil"...can I enter it, please?

Appreciation of "art" is definately a personal thing...what works for some, will never work for others. The same goes for music, cars, women, in fact anything that can be compared to something else in appreciation.

As for the mannequin dripping horse shoes from its eyes...what a load of bollox, and this morning I sneezed lines better than those on the other "artwork"...

Unknown said...

Indeed Cuzz,
I say that next year your goodly self and I enter the competition and show these arty farty types that we Douglas's are the denizens of the art world.
For your part you must vacuum pack your "installation" immediately so as to keep it fresh and I will begin work on the pizza box armchair and my other piece, entitled Cigarettes and Alcohol, which is a pint glass filled with the dimps of 175 cigarettes.

I tell ya man, we could be huge!