Search This Blog

9/06/2008

For the last two weeks...

I have, as is usual at about this time of the year, been coughing my lungs up due to a chest infection. As such I have been laid in my bed (I'd much prefer getting laid in my bed, believe me) every minute of the day in an attempt to shake it off.

As such my life has been somewhat dull and uninteresting so I have had nothing to report to you all here. However, because of this I have had a lot of time to read and have piled my way through half a dozen or so books, watched several movies and spent at least six hours a day watching coverage of the Republican and Democratic conventions.

Now lets get one thing clear here, I am in no way up to speed on the ins and outs of the American political system (Despite the fact I've read Alexis De Toqueville's "Democracy in America" and at least a dozen other books on how it works over the pond) and make no claims to be some kind of genius when it comes to politics, but in my opinion it looks like America may well be headed towards electing its first African American president in Barrack Obama.

When Barrack Obama (and his wife Michelle) spoke at the Democratic convention I couldn't help but feel I was watching history in the making. (I feel I should make it clear that I ignored the choreographed "spontaneous" applause, overly exited brouhaha from the crowd and concentrated instead on the rhetoric.)

Barrack Obama is a master of the spoken word and delivered his speech with grace and a gravitas that has been much missed in politics in America over the last Eight (8) years under Bush and his ShrubCo cronies. And the same can be said for his wife Michelle who will have, without a doubt, swayed more than her fair share of voters towards voting for her husband.

John "Can't reach the top shelf" McCain however looked like a man who knows he is facing defeat on a grand scale and is merely making the right noises and saying the right things to limit the damage to the party before skulking back into the hole from which he crawled. (That was a cheap joke... I'm sure John McCain has ways of reaching the top shelf.)

I'm looking forward to the head to head argybargy of the next couple of months where the candidates face off against one another in the television debates as I think there could be some moments where the mask drops and the man beneath is revealed.

3 comments:

SIGHTHILL LADY said...

poppy cock, obamha will never get in.

Mammy xx

Divemaster GranDad said...

The first thing the AMERICANS have to vote for, in my opinion, is whether their black folks are African, or American. They cannot be both...get rid of the PC bullshit and call a spade a spade instead of an earth-inverting implement.

SIGHTHILL LADY said...

As a follow up to my comment above, I honest believe he (Obama) won't get in based on his colour. The fact that he might, and I say might, be a good president won't come into the equasion. The best person should win, be they black, white, yellow, their religion or sexual preference. However this is is politics and we all know it won't happen.

Mammy