Search This Blog

7/16/2007

Occasionally...

I wish I lived in a city that never sleeps.

A city where sparks of life can be found at all times of the day or night. You know the kind of place I mean no doubt. A place like New York, Rio or Tokyo. But I don't. I live in Edinburgh. But that's not to say that you can't experience international cuisine at a relatively late time of night.

At 10:30 tonight I had a hankering for something different. Something new(ish), something exotic, something off the normal beaten path for me. So I jumped onto the scooter and headed into Haymarket to the Sushiya Sushi Bar.

Sushiya wouldn't look out of place on a New York side street and I wouldn't have been surprised if a group of New Yorkers had walked in and announced that they were off to Studio 54 and wanted to sample the finest sushi in the city beforehand.

Sushiya may not be the biggest restaurant in Edinburgh but if style and substance counted for anything this place would be off the map of coolness.

I sat with my back to the window so I could ignore the fact I was less that 100 yards from the Haymarket train station and imagined instead that I was in one of the aforementioned cities. On the wall a TV set showed a Japanese cooking show that somehow still managed to have that familiar look of Endurance.

As I couldn't understand the language of the TV show I popped my ipod into my ears and ate my Seafood Special raman soup while I imagined that just outside the door of the sushi bar a whole other city went about it's evening.

Should you ever have the hankering for sushi in Edinburgh I'd highly recommend popping your head through the door of Sushiya.

Sushiya directions. (Google map link)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, when I lived along the road at Murieston Crescent I would see this place as I passed on my way to Starbucks and always wondered if it was any good, never got around to trying it though!

Might check it out when I return after summer!

I too wish Edinburgh was a bit more "open all hours" - the festival helps with 5am club close and Starbucks open until midnight... And I could really have done with a better food outlet than a baker's when I worked as a bouncer, no wonder I'm so beefy now!

Enjoyed reading your blog there, "favourited".

Divemaster GranDad said...

Just near there is a little chinese restaurant where I had lunch with fuckwit cuzzin Brian a few years ago (he's back in SA now, I believe, needless to say he hasn't got hold of me - twat that he is). The little pub on the corner next to the railway station, over the road from the Haymarket, is great for a visit too...spent a few hours in there that day with Tami and Scott. Then had a haggis supper at a wee take-out around the corner across from the station...yum.

Fond memories...