Search This Blog

2/07/2007

Whatever happened to my youth?

It occurred to me today that if the Human lifetime is roughly 70 years then I'm what you could term officially middle aged. And that's not right. It can't be. I'm still a kid for fucks sake!

OK, OK, fair enough, I'm not a kid but I do spend most of my time acting like one so that kinda qualifies me as a yoof. For the love of Christ, I never owned a proper pair of dress shoes until last month when I had to buy a pair for a job interview. Surely that's a sign of my youth; Kicking about in trainers is quintessential to being young.

My wardrobe is a shining example of my youthdom... I own more T-Shirts with funny/offensive slogans on them than any other person I know, I have four hoodies, I constantly wear a baseball cap and the bottoms of my jeans are all tatty and ripped from them hanging over the bottom of my trainers.

Could it be that I failed to notice that my youth was over due to my destroying my memory in a fug of hashsmoke and far too many tabs of acid? Possibly. But I wouldn't change that for a second. And why? Well, because I enjoyed it far too much.

Youth is not an age nor is it a stage that we all pass through. Youth, my friends, is a state of mind.

No comments: