Search This Blog

1/31/2007

Despite... Having shit loads of time to sit here and write.

I'm finding it difficult to think of anything to actually write about. My desk is not a good place to be when the creative juices are refusing to flow... The eyes of Hunter S Thompson look down from a picture on the wall behind my monitor and challenge me to "Finish the Fucking Story!"

But what is the fucking story? Huh, hunter? Is it the tale of someone sitting staring at a monitor for an hour and producing nothing more than three bad starts and a half page of gibberish filled with cod psychology and lunatic ramblings? If so I think I have the story. I have it firmly by the balls if that's the case...

But the words, Hunter, the words... How do I describe the anguish caused by trying to create something which cannot be created. Do I risk an in-depth description of my surroundings in an attempt to somehow define the reality I face when I am sitting in what I have reserved as my creative space?

I seriously hope not... I'd have a hard job explaining away the inflatable sheep in a noose above me, people would ask why I have a large poster of Darth Maul on my wall. And I'd certainly loose good friends when they find out I have a Stars and Stripes upon which I have daubed a Nazi Swastika and the words "Burn This Flag" in black magic marker... Should I include details that let the reader know I am sitting here in nothing more than a tatty pair of boxer shorts and that I can smell the sweat from beneath my balls? Probably not.

That's not a nice image to give people. Sure, it's the truth but sometimes the truth is too ugly to consider.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto. I am totally uninspired these days. Shrug.

Wreckless Euroafrican said...

Inspiration comes from "out there". Go do your usual stuff, catch a bus, sit on the steps of a monument / fountain / feature, have a smoke. Talkj to the lass at the music store. Watch the kids at play, the old man walking his dog, pissing on the lamp post. The blind guy playing his violin. All of these things, about which you have written, and colourfully, make up your stories. Don't think too hard about it. Just go about your normal day, and the juices will flow.

Best of luck

Salagatle!

Divemaster GranDad said...

Or say to yourself, I'm going out to find something comical to write about today, or something humanitarian, or self-denegrating. Whatever topic comes to mind...

Yeah, I know, I can talk...I haven't written in a couple of weeks. In all honesty, this is the first time I've read any blogs in that same period. Just too fuckin' busy...