Search This Blog

10/25/2006

Hawaii?

I'm fine. How are you?

****************************************

I've never been to Hawaii but I've always wanted to visit there after watching Blue Hawaii. Which, for those not au fait with the canon of Elvis Presley, was a film starring The Big E as an island native (Chad Gates) who returns to the islands after serving in the Army to find that his parents want him to start working in the family pineapple company. Chad has other plans though, surfing, spending time on the beach chasing women being top of the list.

As films go it's pretty shit... That's Elvis films for you. Big piles of steaming shit from start to finish... But, the scenery of Hawaii more than makes up for the fact that Elvis couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Whenever I hear Hawaiian sounding music I see lush mountains, perfect waves and happy smiling people in my mind. And this is especially true today as I got my grubby little hands on a copy of Facing Future by Israel "Bruddah Iz" Kamakawiwoʻole.

Bruddah Iz's voice has kept me smiling as I went about my day today. The only problem is that the album is mostly sung in Hawaiian... It's full on "Waanna licka pee pee, makey wanna lay ooo" stuff... I don't speak Hawaiian but I don't give a fuck. This guy could sing the ingredients for a packet of Cheese Doritos and it'd sound like God was whispering in your ear.

To get a hold of a copy for yourself, and I highly recommend you do, Click Here to listen to some samples or to order a copy of Facing Future.

Malaho nui Iz...

No comments: