Search This Blog

8/09/2006

A football match...

Probably isn't the kind of place that's conducive to hard drugs such as LSD and ecstasy.

But, having never been one to shy away from a visual and audible assault upon my senses I thought Why not? and washed down two mitsubishi's and a tab of acid with about an hour to go before kick off in tonights Hearts v's AEK Athens champions league qualifying match.

The game itself was a disappointment, as the result was 2-1 against Hearts, but when we scored I experienced a moment of pure rapture. 32,000 fans and I leapt to our feet as one and the ecstasy kicked into top gear on me and the noise of every voice rung in my ears.

I'm not much of a fan of football as a game, as more often than not Hearts suffer from being less than great and there isn't quite enough violence or danger involved for me to truly throw in with the baying crowds of supporters. That all went out the window in the split second after we scored. I screamed with a fervor I only ever allow a voice when I'm watching the news or the weather forecast.

"GO ON HEARTS! GET IT RIGHT UP THESE KEBAB EATING BASTARDS!" I yelled, as I pondered what it was that made a normally sane and (reasonably) rational person such as myself stoop so low as to resort to stereotyping people by their nationality. The thought was shunted aside with disregard and I yelled harder and louder than I've ever yelled at a TV during a rage filled moment.

"GO ON THE FUCKIN' JT's!" I bellowed, and felt the buzz of the acid sneaking its way up my spine and into my brainstem. The lack of oxygen in my body, due to screaming so hard, caused me to lose all sense of direction and I swayed forwards as my legs began to turn to what felt like socks full of water. I stopped screaming and the feeling rapidly shoved itself back into my legs and I regained my balance just before I fell face first onto the guy in front of me.

The rest of the game was marred by the sending off of one of the Hearts players and by AEK leveling in the dying minutes of the match and then scoring the winner in time added on. But, fuck it, so it goes. As they say, sometimes you eat the bear; Sometimes the bear eats you.

1 comment:

jenny said...

I now have a sore throat and a bloody cold which I am blaming on the match!

Top tier of Murrayfield, in a short sleeved Hearts top, with a bloody cold wind ripping through me. Course you don't feel it so much when you're jumping round like a loony and singing at the top of your voice eh? I feel it now though!

Bed and throat sweets for me I think!