Search This Blog

7/11/2005

As the sun rises.

It's 4:25 and I can't sleep. Ho hum.

I have no doubt in my mind that I'll be sitting here in more than an hours time and have written fuck all worth reading. But hey, that's life sometimes. Sometimes you eat the bear sometimes the bear eats you, as they like to say in the backwoods of Kentucky, Arkansas and Connecticut.

At some point or another all writers, I'm informed, hit upon some kind of blockage in their creativity. I think I'm about to have a blockage. I'll sit here and try to squeeze out something though. As the saying goes; Either shit or get off the pot...

As I sit watching the sun rising I find myself wondering how the people I met in South Africa are.

If I were to try to put a name to it I'd have to call it People-I-met-while-on-holiday syndrome. They're the people whom I met who are friends or acquaintances of people I know, people I met, or people I sparked up a conversation with while off on my African journey. When I bade farewell I knew that in time they will become just a face or a name, then just a memory. With enough time they fade into obscurity.

We all know these people. They're the people in our lives that we meet for a small time. Merely a blink of the eye in the span of a lifetime. The background extras in the movie of our lives whom we decide to give some lines to in the cosmic script.

On rare occasions the memory of one of these random people stays with us longer than we ever thought would be possible. And we are changed. Maybe for a second, maybe for a lifetime. The memory of that person throws itself into our conscious thoughts with no warning and we feel a sense of longing for something lost that was truly never had.

The loss you feel is one of not knowing if that person is still upon this physical plane or gone onto the next. Not knowing if a person is safe, secure and smiling or scattered and sad can break a heart in normal situations but when it is attached to the memory of someone rather than present knowledge you're surfing on a different swell. The waves that once swept calmly towards the shore now roll and crash with venom in their wake.

This feeling is merely an illusion. A trick of The Light. A mirage. A phantasm. All feelings are merely a figment of the imagination. They have no physical properties. Take a deep breath and wish for wonderful things to happen to these people and they will receive the appropriate karma the Grand Whazoo decides upon to reward your selfless thoughts and dreams.

If the person you wished nice things for is not on the same physical plane as you are then don't worry. The Grand Whazoo knows Time better than we mere mortals. A wish in the future is as good as a wish in the past or a wish in the present to the Grand Whazoo.

The Grand Whazoo sees all time as one moment. From the beginning to the end, Alpha to Omega, Big bang to Big squeeze, A to Z and all points between.

It sees, It knows. It dreams and it wishes. As we do. Sometimes for those whom It granted a long lasting physical lifetime. And sometimes It wishes for those whom It granted mere seconds. All these things are the same to the Grand Whazoo. A second is a lifetime. A lifetime is an eternity.

Tempus fugit? Not when you're the Grand Whazoo...

1 comment:

Divemaster GranDad said...

African people fading to memories? I've only got two words for you...Basil Fawlty...